Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Four Months Later...

Joyce has informed me once again that I need to be blogging more.  Which, I suppose, is valid seeing as I just realized that my last blog was all the way back in July.  Lots has happened since then.  Wedding season was in full effect so I think my brain was just overloaded with travel and buying gifts and the endless parties and smiling and dancing to awful wedding music.  But, I digress...

Fall is in full effect now and that means it's time for my favorite past time: Oregon Ducks football.  Boo yah!  I LOVE MY DUCKS.  And when I say love, I do mean love.  For example, when my friend H came to visit and I gave her shirt options, my entire bed was covered with shirts.  You know you have a problem when your shopaholic friend is concerned.  Another example, I was watching college football with a close friend a couple of weeks ago and practically every other saying that came out of my mouth was "I hate so and so" or "that so and so is such a d-bag" or "kill him."  That last one is a particular favorite of mine to yell on kick returns.  It was a particularly irritating night of football and the Ducks had a bye so I was deprived of the joy of watching them that day and it all resulted in me being particularly harsh.  It also led to my friend saying "Geez, I don't think I've ever heard you say you hate anyone, ever.  You're really into this aren't you?"  Ugh, probably not a good thing when a boy you like says something like that to you.  College football brings out the best and simultaneously, the worst in me. 

Love 'em or hate 'em, the Ducks are one of the most entertaining teams in nation.  Sure we get lots of flack for Uncle Phil being a huge beneficiary or the flashy uniforms or the giant billboards in Times Square but that's also backed up by a lot of winning.  And I do mean a lot.  19 straight at home to be exact and an appearance in the Rose Bowl and then the National Championship.  And, win or lose, I will always be proud to be a Duck fan.  So there it is folks.  Be prepared for lots more talk about the Ducks this fall but don't worry, once basketball season rolls around I'll be much quieter on the subject of Duck athletics.

Onto my next subject: what to be for Halloween.  This is always a conundrum for me.  I'm not a big fan of Halloween at all.  Maybe because one year as a child I was dressed up as the South Korean flag.  I'm clearly still traumatized from that experience.  Or more likely it's the fact that at Halloween females are expected to dress like costumed strippers, freeze their asses off and act like they like it.  Trust me, we don't.  This is why we're usually plying ourselves with copious amounts of alcohol.  It keeps us warm and makes us not think about the fact that we're getting ogled by every person on the street.  Usually I avoid Halloween like the plague.  I enjoy dressing up my nephews and taking them trick or treating.  That's where my joy in Halloween comes from.  However, this year, I am attending a huge Halloween party with my Seattle crew and as such I am expected to go all out where my costume is concerned.  Hence, the conundrum.  I refuse to wear a costume that is entitled "Sexy Sailor" or "Hot French Maid" or some other ridiculousness.  This could be a problem.  The search continues.

1 comment:

  1. 10:02am? Why didn't you tell me you blogged? I was sitting right next to you for Pete's sake. I still say you should go as a ninja, I mean, how easy would that be? But since you brought up the flag situation, well, I mean, I'm sure your mom still has it. Why not dust that baby off and go retro? It would be a huge hit. I'm actually serious.

    ReplyDelete